We’re the Hetlands!

Home Forums On the Front Porch We’re the Hetlands!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Alyssa Hetland
      Participant

Hello everyone!
      I noticed last night that we had not posted on this forum yet so better late than never!
      A little background on my husband and I: My name is Alyssa, I grew up outside of Philadelphia, PA in Chester County but moved officially to Pittsburgh when I was 22 to fulfill my passion of teaching/choreographing dance. My husband, Dane, grew up in the greater area of Pittsburgh during his childhood but has lived in multiple cities such as Boston, D.C., Amsterdam. We met a year after I had graduated from college on Mount Washington in Pittsburgh, shortly after I had moved here and he had moved back from Amsterdam. We got engaged in the summer of 2017 and got married June 1, 2019. We are expecting our first child, a baby boy on June 23rd! Both of us love the outdoors, and if I wasn’t so pregnant right now, we’d probably be on our bikes riding around downtown! We also love to cook and try new restaurants and foods of all kinds. My husband was a hockey player and I was a ballet/jazz dancer but life has taken us down a different path than what we originally started out on! Dane opened his own e-commerce business in 2015, Medical Monks, and since Covid-19 quarantine I have fully prepared and decided on being a stay-at-home mom. We are excited to meet other family’s in the “Neighborhood” and we can’t wait to share our experiences and gain knowledge and friendship with the rest of you 🙂

Cheers!

Kelly Groesbeck
      Participant

Alyssa- congrats on your little boy and well wishes for your delivery! I too was a dancer and now my almost 13 yo does ballet, jazz, and modern. Even though I left dancing long ago it still brings joy seeing my daughter love it!

Alyssa Hetland
        Participant

Thank you! And so fun hearing about the younger generation dancing! Dance has evolved so much since when I was a kid and I love seeing the new styles that people have started to branch into! I was a modern dancer in college!! Such a fantastic art form! Rolling on the floor was my favorite part haha

Rita Stanislawski
      Participant

Congrats on the little one coming and on your new professional and family endeavors! Can you tell me a bit about your husband’s business? I’m a physician assistant and I just started a new job in internal medicine. None of my patients have insurance so I’m trying to make connections with good places where we can get them various supplies. I like the sound of his company’s name. 🙂

Many blessings on your next step on the journey of motherhood!

Alyssa Hetland
        Participant

Hi Rita!! Of Course! Medical Monks is an online retailer that branched off of father-in-laws company Mercy Surgical. Mercy Surgical does mostly B2B selling mostly to hospitals and doctors offices so Dane found a niche market directly to the consumer! They offer lower price disposable medical supplies to consumers who do not have insurance or their insurance does not cover “specific items”. Mostly colostomy care such as bags and for people with stomas but they have so many other categories on their as well! The company is one based greatly in our Catholic faith, hence the name Medical “Monks”. The company has been around for almost 5 years! We would love for you to check it out and recommend it to your patients! They ship anywhere in the U.S.A.! And even have options for express ship and overnight if your patients are ever in a pinch. http://www.medicalmonks.com <— check them out!

Anita Moffett
      Participant

Congratulations, Can’t wait to “meet” your little one! My husband and I are foodies too! Our favorite thing to do is recreate or copy cat restaurant meals. We’ve come to like our homemade chipotle and Chinese better than the restaurant version. I love to share and exchange recipes!

Alyssa Hetland
        Participant

Hi Anita!! We can’t wait for everyone to “meet” him as well!! We loveeee food haha that sounds like an awesome idea, recreating meals from restaurants! I had a friend who held her very own “restaurant week” every week we were in quarantine and she made all different kinds of recipes! It looked so fun! I don’t have too much cooking under my belt but one recipe I love is our chicken curry soup! We’ll have to exchange some recipes soon!

Ann Best
      Participant

Congratulations, Alyssa and Dane, and thanks for posting, especially with so much going on with your beautiful little boy on the way! So excited to see another Pittsburgh family here and it’s wonderful that you and Dane are exploring so many options. The name Medical Monks is a great one and I love how it reflects the Catholic faith. What a great idea your friend had with the “restaurant week” – so clever!

Claire Zugec
      Participant

Hi Alyssa! Congrats on your almost due date, how exciting! We just had our third baby in April and thankfully was a quick in and out in the midst of this pandemic! Praying it is a smooth and easy process for you as well! We are also in the Pittsburgh area–out near the airport. What part of town are you from? What have been some of your favorite restaurants in the area? Look forward to getting to know you! 😊

Alyssa Hetland
        Participant

Hi CLaire! we’re from Cecil Township! We love The Golden Pig which is right on RT 50 and is Korean BBQ, so delicious and also Los Chiludos which is located in South Pointe! It is the best mexican restaurant around besides Condado Tacos downtown in our opinion haha Also we just found a new taco restaurant in Bridgeville called Lucha Street Tacos, delicious! And inexpensive! If you go, don’t underestimate the U.S.A. taco, it is pretty basic but I ended up getting two orders of them last time we went haha

Rita Stanislawski
      Participant

Thanks for sending me the link! I hope you are holding up OK in either these last few days of pregnancy, or first few days of having a newborn again!

Steph Jaucian
      Participant

Hi Alyssa! So lovely to read about you and Dane. I was a flamenco dancer for what feels like a lifetime ago and even had the honour of performing at the Opera House here in Sydney Many, many years ago! You are very blessed to be starting your marriage and family guided by the wisdom that Mike and Alicia bring to the world via the Messy Family Project. Will pray for the Hetlands for a safe delivery! We look forward to hearing your news!

Alicia Hernon
      Participant

I think Alyssa is a bit too busy to post, but I saw on FB that their baby boy was born!  Leif Jameson Hetland was born 6.25.  All you parents know that that transition for your first baby can be a bit uncertain sometimes, so keep them in your prayers!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.