Hello from the Moffett’s

Home Forums On the Front Porch Hello from the Moffett’s

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anita Moffett
      Participant

Hello from rural Northwest Ohio! I am Anita and my husband is Nathan (Nate) We have been married 13 years and have three kiddos, boys 9 and 6 and a daughter who is 4. We live on my family farm where Nate helps out when he can after his full time job at Cedar Point. I recently rejoined the full time work force as a teacher at our local catholic school system (Go Streaks!) after 8 years of part timing it to keep myself sane but spending most of my time raising our kiddos. I am a cradle catholic and thank goodness the holy spirit worked on Nate for many years and he joined The Church, 6 ago. In the past 2 years we have had a new wave of fire for our faith and have been digging into lots of books, spiritual learning, and re-creating our family lifestyle around our faith. All of our kids attend Bishop Hoffman Catholic School and we are very involved in our rural parish of St. Mary, which has been thriving and growing the past few years and we are so thrilled about this. We are making our first (hopefully of many) trips to Steubenville for the third Holy Family Fest this summer and are so excited to connect with more catholic families. I love to chat and ask lots of questions so am thrilled about this new program especially as I prepare to start teaching religion this fall! Can’t wait to “meet” all of you.

Sandra Sturgeon
      Participant

Hi Anita, so good to “meet” you!! When you have a moment, you should share what some of your favorite books you’ve read during your new “wave” — We’ve been on the hunt for some good ones (just finished Our Lady of Fatima by William T. Walsh and loved it).

Anita Moffett
        Participant

Sandra~ My husband loves to read on apologetics as he struggles to maintain his relationship with his staunch Lutheran family. We love anything by Scott Hahn and John Bergsma. And I am re-readng The Mindful Catholic again as I prepare to dive into Dr Batteros curriculum so I can use it in my classroom in the fall. I also love “lighter catholic reads” like Victorus Secret, Death by Mini-van and Jen Fulwiler too!

Lisa Wirth
      Participant

We live in Ohio too and I had not heard about the Holy Family fest. Sounds awesome! Going to have to look it up 😊 Nice to meet you guys!

Stephanie Leddy
      Participant

Anita, I think we are probably what qualifies as “close neighbors” in the Messy Family neighborhood as we live in NW Ohio as well (Findlay). I also have not heard of the Holy Family fest, at least I don’t think so, but I am going to look it up as well. Thanks for sharing!

Anita Moffett
      Participant

Stephanie, I shop in Findlay on a regular basis and we have a pastoral connection as Fr Scott Woods is now the pastor at our twinned parish! I have heard many great things about the St. Michael’s community even though we’ve usual stuck pretty close to our home parish in the past year we’ve been venturing out just to check out the many other communities in the diocese.
      We are so excited about Holy Family Fest and are hoping to “recruit” others to go as friends did with us! I can’ wait to share our experience and hopefully chat with Mike and Alicia in person again.

Ann Best
      Participant

Hello, Anita! We’re from Pittsburgh, so I’m not sure how close we are, but it’s so nice to meet someone who is pretty close. Life on a farm must keep you quite busy. My husband converted about six years ago as well. We heard about Family Fest a while back on the podcast and I am super curious about going sometime. It sounded like a great way to meet families with shared values! Glad to meet you!

Alicia Hernon
      Participant

If any of you are thinking of coming to AFC’s family fests, please do! We are speaking every Wednesday morning at the fests and our family will be attending Fest #5 along with Paul and Maura Doman, who are also “neighbors” on this site. Maybe next year we can work to get as many of us at the same fest as possible! Wouldn’t that be fun? Here’s the link for more info: https://afc.org/catholic-family-vacation/

Stephanie Leddy
      Participant

Anita, we LOVE Father Scott! He baptized our daughter in 2017 and it was a really special occasion. We keep talking about heading up to one of his parishes for Mass sometime, but with a two year old and a newborn it just hasn’t happened yet. If you ever do decide to venture over to Findlay for Mass, let us know. It would be fun to meet up in person 🙂

Marisa Caramat
      Participant

Hi Anita!

My apologizes for the late response. I couldn’t figure out how to reply to you.

Logan is pretty much into anything you put in front of her if you show her how to use it first. It’s so sweet when I catch her talking or playing pretend with her toys. She has a few play kitchens & this ice cream set she loves to ring a bell and yell “ice cream ice cream what flavor would you like” then tells me she will clean up the store and do it all over again. Sometimes it feels like 100 times in a row. I’m not sure if you have ever seen the kids series Brother Francis? I highly recommend it-she has learned the Our Father from it and I know the content she is exposed to learn, dance & sing is one of our faith. I’ve learned a thing or two from there I’ve been able to use my with students as well.

Amanda Engerer
      Participant

The summer after my highschool senior year I worked at the Holy Family Fest as a member of the Apple Corps! We worked in the snack shack and baby sat the kiddos. Do they still have the Apple Corps?! Such great memories.

Lisa Baird
      Participant

Hi- God willing our family is planning on going to the 5th family fest at Catholic Family Land.  I believe that this will be our fifth or sixth year.  We always go to the fifth one.  All three of my children love it – especially my oldest (19) and youngest (14).  For Julia who is 17 but developmentally more like a 9 year old it has taken sometime to warm up.  However, the staff have been wonderful and helpful to get her involved.  My oldest was in the middle of being interviewed for the alumni core, but when COVID hit I was uncertain about the future and didn’t feel comfortable with her being away the entire summer.  Possibly another year.

Alicia- I don’t remember if you recall but we had a brief conversation one evening at CFL and I was telling you how hard raising my family has been and how hard it is for me to see other families who don’t have the challenges we do with our children and their special needs.  I do hope to be able to connect again this summer since you mentioned your plans to attend the 5th fest, and it would be wonderful if other families from this group would be there too.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.