Reply To: Session #1 questions

Home Forums Messy Parenting 101 Session #1 questions Reply To: Session #1 questions

Adam Stanislawski
Participant

Rita and I really enjoyed the videos and felt like you were talking directly to us. Thanks! They definitely felt personalized.

When we got to question #5, we talked a lot about the “how to” of guarding, protecting, and communicating love. This reminded me of two quotes from past spiritual reading that gave us some ideas:

1. By St. Charbel Makhlouf, “Guard your families and keep them from the schemes of the evil one through the presence of God in them. Protect and keep them through prayer and dialog, through mutual understanding and forgiveness, through honesty and faithfulness, and most importantly, through listening. Listen to one another with your ears, eyes, hearts, mouths and the palms of your hands, and keep the roaring of the noise of the world away from your homes because it is like raging storms and violent waves; once it enters the home, it will sweep away everything and disperse everyone. Preserve the warmth of the family, because the warmth of the whole world cannot make up for it.”
  2. By St. Josemaría Escrivá, “Listen to your children. Give them your time, even the time that you have reserved for yourselves. Show them your confidence; believe whatever they tell you, even if sometimes they try to deceive you. Don’t be afraid when they rebel, because, at their age, you yourselves were more or less rebellious. Go to meet them half-way and pray for them. If you act in this Christian manner, they will come to you with simplicity, instead of trying to satisfy their legitimate curiosity by talking to some vulgar friend. Your confidence, your friendly dealings with your children, will receive an answer in their sincerity in dealing with you. Then, even if there are quarrels and lacks of understanding, they will never amount to much; and this is what peace in the family and a truly Christian life mean.”

Reflecting on these spurred us to choose two virtues of the week to work on as a family:  gentleness and self-control. So, thank you Mike and Alicia for sparking this conversation to help us get over the hump and be more intentional in our family!  We introduced them to the kids this morning, and I think they’re on board, so far… We’ll let you know how it goes!